Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Mid-Month Tutorial: Jointed Love's Bunting Tutorial


Tutorial #1 will be Jointed Love's bunting tutorial, which I shared here on this blog a while back!

Supplies:
1. Scissors
2. String or Twine of some sort
3. Washi Tape


When it comes to Washi Tape (a fancy Japanese masking tape),
Jointed Love recommended ordering from Chickydoddle on Etsy:

I have to say... I am very tempted to spend a lot of money there, haha!
BUT! For those in the USA, you can find Washi Tape in your local stores too...
All of the Washi Tape you see below, I found at local stores (from craft stores to grocery stores).
Scotch Tape started making their own... so it's out there!


Step 1:
Cut off strips of tape to be the bunting flags.
Make sure that the tape is twice as long as you want the flag to be
(since you will be folding it over the string)


Step 2:
You can pre-cut your flags and line them up along a table edge...
I did this for the first 5... but since I was making a 19 inch bunting, I gave up and just cut them as I needed them after that... lol!


Step 3:
 Add the tape to the string.
Do this one piece of tape at at a time.
 
I gently pressed one edge of the tape to the table,
then positioned the string, then folded the tape around the string.
Before folding over the string.
After folding over the string.

It should look like this when you're done.

 

Step 4:
Repeat Step 3 until you have filled up the string with as many flags as you would like.


I might have made this one a little long...


Step 5:
Once you have all of your pieces of tape on the string,
it's time to cut them down into flag shape!


I cut them from the string to the point of the flag...
I find it easier to make the flag an even triangle this way.


The way I do it, being right handed, is I cut the right side first,
then I turn the flag around so that I'm cutting it from the base (near the string) to the point,
again on the right side. I just have more control this way!


Step 6:
Repeat Step 5 until you have done all of the pieces of tape!
THE END! XD



Trouble Shooting:
There's more!
There were a few little things that could have gone smoother
when I was making my bunting for the first time.
 
 

Problem 1:
The flags are all over the place! 0_0
Some were pointed up, some down... 
as I would put them on, the string would twist,
so not all the flags were "hanging downward"by the end.

In Jointed Love's tutorial, she says she taped her string to the table, but that it was an optional step.
I disagree! I think if I'd taped the string down it would have prevented all that twisting that made my flags all wonky!!

So, my advice?


Make sure the string isn't moving when you're pressing your flags into place.


When you're done, they should all be hanging downward in the same direction!

Problem 2:
 The tape doesn't line up!
This is something that might freak you out when it happens,
but really it isn't a problem at all!
Just so long as the tape touches evenly at the base near the string,
this issue is a non-issue.


 •••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Conclusion:
I loved this simple tutorial!
It was easy to figure out and follow!
I absolutely recommend it!!!!

4 comments:

  1. Loving this feature already! And now I have the uncanny desire to purchase tape since something tells me that scotch blue painter's tape flags wouldn't be nearly as pretty XD

    I appreciate that you're doing this because I find that in spite of liking crafts, I'm sometimes not very crafty, so the more tutorials, the merrier, and seeing someone else try it helps. I'm sure this gives you motivation to try out even more things as well!
    And if you're looking for more tutorials to try, My Froggy Stuff has tons. I came across them on Youtube, but it looks like they have a blog as well: http://www.myfroggystuff.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cute idea and your assistant is adorable :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sure do like this new feature!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is very cute! I will have to try it!

    ReplyDelete